A grilled cheese is the perfect comfort food. Adding a rich chanterelle and caramelized onion jam with crisp green apple slices, elevates the classic sandwich to a whole new level of flavor and enjoyment. Although the recipe calls for dried chanterelles so that this cheesy treat can be made year around, they can be substituted with fresh chanterelles if they are available.
Grilled Cheese with Chanterelle Onion Jam and Green Apple
- 1 ounces Dried Chanterelle Mushrooms
- 1 stick and 2 teaspoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons rosemary (minced)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons thyme (minced)
- 1 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil
- 1 ¼ large onions (julienned)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- 1.5 ounces balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 1 ½ cups Swiss cheese (shredded)
- 1 ½ cups gruyere cheese (shredded)
- 1 green apples (thinly sliced)
- Start by rehydrating the dried chanterelles. Do this by soaking them in a bowl of hot water for 15 to 30 minutes. (If you are using fresh chanterelles, you can of course skip this step)
In a bowl or in a stand mixer, combine one stick of butter with 1 ½ teaspoons rosemary, 1 ½ teaspoons thyme, ½ teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon garlic. Mix until it is fully combined. Wrap the compound butter in parchment paper and place it into the fridge for later.
In a large sauté pan, put the oil and the onions on medium high heat and cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium for 5 minutes and then lower it again to low heat for 10 minutes or until the onions are dark brown and caramelized. Set them aside to cool.
Drain the chanterelles from the water and pat them dry with a clean towel. In a sauté pan on high heat, add the mushrooms, 2 teaspoons of butter, ¾ teaspoon rosemary, ¾ teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Sauté for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the caramelized onions, red wine, balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar to the pan with the mushrooms. Lower the heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes or until the liquid is almost gone. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Place the mixture into a food processor and pulse until the items are broken down but still very chunky. This is the Chanterelle Onion Jam.
- Combine the two shredded cheeses together.
To assemble each grilled cheese, spread compound butter on one side of two pieces of bread. Place one slice of bread butter side down and layer on top of it ¼ cup of cheese, 5 thin slices of apple, 1/3 cup of the mushroom jam, another ¼ cup of cheese, and the second slice of bread butter side up. Cook in a pan on medium for 2 to 3 minutes, flip the sandwich over and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. You can cover your pan with a lid while the sandwich is cooking to help trap the heat in and ensure the cheese is melty. Enjoy!