Chanterelles and figs
are the star of this delicious egg casserole. It’s great for a brunch with friends
or family. For a vegetarian version exclude the bacon and cook your mushrooms in
oil or butter. If fresh chanterelles are out of season, dried are a great
substitution (see the note below).
Chanterelle and Fig Brioche Strata
- 7 cups (about 1 pound) brioche bread (torn into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 yellow onion (julienned)
- ½ pound bacon (medium diced)
1 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms (washed and medium diced)
- ¼ to ½ pound spinach (rough chopped)
- 8 figs (rough chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cup half and half
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Place torn bread on a sheet pan and place in oven for 10 to 15 min or until bread is dry. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Caramelize the onion by placing a large sauté pan on medium high heat. When the pan is hot add a splash neutral oil to coat the bottom, the julienned onion, and small pinch of salt. Cook for 5 min or until the onion starts to brown slightly and stick, then reduce heat to medium for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat again to medium low and after another 5 minutes to low. Cook on low until the onion is browned and caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside for later.
Return the large sauté pan’s heat to medium high and place in the diced bacon. Cook until all fat is rendered out and the bacon is crispy. Remove bacon from pan using a slotted spoon. Add the mushrooms and cook on med high heat until the mushrooms have released their liquid and browned. Add the bacon, caramelized onion, spinach, chopped figs, garlic, and thyme. Sauté all together for 5 to 10 minutes or until the spinach has cooked and everything is combined. Remove from heat let sit to cool to at least room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a large baking dish. Whisk together the half and half and eggs. When the cooked ingredients are cooled, add ¾ of the cheese, bread cubes, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Spread evenly in your prepared pan and pour egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Cover your pan with foil and cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
If using dried mushrooms, heat the half and half until steaming. Add the dried mushrooms, cover, and steep for at least 2 hours or overnight. Take out the mushrooms and strain the liquid through a cheese cloth. Top off the liquid with more half and half if you have less than 2 cups.